I was born in the western hills of Pennsylvania. I graduated from Bradford High school in 1953, and then the U.S. Coast Guard Academy in New London, CT in 1957 with a bachelor’s degree in engineering and a commission as an Ensign. I later received a Masters Degree in Personnel Management from George Washington University.
My Academy experiences were highlighted by sailing the three masted barque, Eagle, on four training cruises to Europe and the Caribbean. I also sang in the Cadet Choir and Glee Club with live appearances in New York on the Perry Como Show, Carnegie Hall, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
In my 28 year career, I served on both Atlantic and Pacific coasts. I had command of two cutters, the Cape Knox, a 95 foot patrol boat, and the Chilula, a 205 foot search and rescue vessel.
I taught in Officer Candidate School, and the National Defense University, I was the first director of the CG Leadership and Management Training Program. While assigned to Coast Guard Headquarters, I was the Chief of Training and Education Division. In 1985 I retired with the rank of Captain as the Commanding Officer of the Coast Guard Training Center, Petaluma, CA.
After a short stint as a training manager at Bank of America in San Francisco, CA, I returned to Bradford to teach Organizational Behavior and Human Resources Management at University of Pittsburgh at Bradford, and conducted leadership seminars for managers and first line supervisors.
I have tried to be an active member of the community:
- Elected member of Bradford Area School Board.
- Director of Beacon Light Behavioral Health Systems.
- Member of Downtown Revitalization Committee.
- Past president, secretary, treasurer, and current member of the Kiwanis Club of Bradford.
- Member of Session of the First Presbyterian Church.
On the lighter side:
- Sang barbershop harmony in a chorus and quartet.
- Served as Treasurer and President of Bradford Little Theatre, and acted in more than twenty main stage productions and directed four.
- Made small furniture, including the desk I’m sitting at, in my wood shop.
- Hold a commercial pilot’s license (single engine land) but haven’t flown for years.
- I am an ENFP on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Have tried, but can’t play a harmonica.
- Finishing my memoirs is consuming my life.
Carol, my wonderful wife of fifty-eight years, and I love having our daughter Kimberly and our two grandchildren, Preston and Maddy, also living the same town. They are a constant joy.
You can contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org